Tuesday, May 2, 2017

"Changing a constant".

  As educators we live in a dual world.  This world teeters on half routine and half "my students change constants everyday",and I adapt to those.  It's truly a matter of experience and quick thinking that allow both things to occur in unity on an everyday basis.  The constant I chose to change was that of how I seat my 2nd grade Judaic Studies students,  As we all know...


We spend what ends up being a combined several hours a year trying to create and modify an ideal seating chart.  One that limits distractions to you and to other students, and most importantly one that ensures the greatest chance of maximum success for each student.

This change was very hard for me, as I know the personalities in my class.  Some work very well together and some turn an in class assignment with a study partner into a personal play date at school.  The result of my change was that many students sat next to a friend and were not as present in the class activities / discussion.  Another trend that I noticed, and was bothered by, was the self segregation of boys and girls when given free seating.  Yes, I know this is age appropriate. (Watch out for "cooties".) However, it is our job as educators to create balance not just among personalities, levels of intelligence, but also in terms of gender. There are lots of benefits that  present themselves when the male and female brain work together.  It's scientific.

On the good news side, it was not a disaster.  Yet, it was not really a success.  Thus, I see this constant as being one that I would not want to change in the future.  Perhaps with different personalities and different age groups my outcome would have been different.  Come on, let's face it.  We know if we sit next to our "teacher-friends" at a faculty meeting that we are bound to end up talking.  I understand the kids and the pull of friendship. At the end of the day though, I want to make choices that create absolute success for each one of my students.

LONG LIVE THE SEATING CHART!

No comments:

Post a Comment