Thursday, June 8, 2017

Measuring Success

How do I internally measure success?  The success of my students? The success of my teaching?

 Mmm, these questions seem best answered using a list.  




Hearing stories from parents about how their child uses Hebrew at home.  (UNPROMPTED)
Students talk to one another about a concept that we’ve learned about while working.
(UNPROMPTED)
Having to ask my students to stop working when it’s time to go.
Students using Hebrew in other classrooms.  From labeling their snack to singing Hebrew songs.
Having my students greet me outside of my classroom in Hebrew.
(UNPROMPTED)
EASE AND EXCITEMENT READING IN HEBREW

ASKING LOTS OF QUESTIONS

Confidence and success when  working independently.

                                                     To name a few.

This is a great question and is bound to be answered differently by each individual educator based on subject. My answers are based on being a Hebrew and Jewish studies teacher to young students.  In reflecting on my answers it occurred to me that much of the way I measure success is based on how my students internalize the knowledge I give them.  I know it sounds rather odd, but when the language becomes a part of who a student is the walls of fear and hesitation seem to melt awayYou are then left with a classroom of students that are all moving forward and having fun at the same time.

1 comment:

  1. I enjoyed reading this! You and I have some overlapping characteristics in how we measure success. I love how you state that, "...when the language becomes a part of who a student is the walls of fear and hesitation seem to melt away". This is so true. It is evident that you give 100% and more to all that you do. It encompasses who you are and that is evident in the energy that you pass on to your students and it is evident here in your post about how you measure success.

    ReplyDelete