Saturday, September 23, 2017

Don't wait until Thanksgiving to be grateful.





              Rosh Hashanah has always been a time to reflect on the year past and prepare for the year to come. There are several things that have happened recently that give me hope that the year to come will be an amazing one. Starting with the mundane, my dog Mink had her first  litter of puppies all by herself with no complications. Seeing the puppies for the first time brought me back once again to the beginning of life and the promise that it holds. Will the 5 little males be famous show dogs? Will they be someone’s beloved pet for life? I don’t even know their coloring or personalities as yet and it is so exciting to anticipate the future with them!
              This year has brought changes to what classes I teach at Davis. This is the first year that I am teaching 4th grade Judaics and it is a challenge I look forward to every week. The questions that the older children ask make me a believer in this upcoming generation. I do not remember having such an awareness of the world in general, let  alone the Jewish world when I was in 4th grade. I have had less stimulating interactions with adults; these students keep me and my toes and make me excited to teach them.
              The latest change to my life came about as a surprise to me, and a wonderful blessing. While I was in Israel this summer I was encouraged to apply to graduate school at Hebrew College.  Despite returning home and literally rushing to apply with all the requisite documentation and personal info requirements, I submitted my application and was accepted into a dual Masters program : Master of Jewish Education/Master of Arts in Jewish Studies.   I know that taking this educational opportunity on in addition to my teaching responsibilities will be a challenge, but it is certainly one that I welcome.  For all these things, and for returning to this fantastic forum that is my blog I am



image:GirlfriendsShoes




2 comments:

  1. Mazel Tov on your new puppies! Thank you for being such an energetic and enthusiastic teacher for our kids. You have such a positive impact on our kids, and they love you for it. I speak from experience with my little one in your class. I know you will do fine in your grad school, because it is in something you love, Jewish studies. Your enthusiasm is contagious, keep infecting those little ones. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Sean's comments in all ways. Thank you for the energy you bring to our kids as a teacher and to us a colleague. I look forward to hearing more about your journey and am happy to help in any way.

    ReplyDelete