Wednesday, February 1, 2017

The living Torah meets the 21st Century


The video you just watched above is one of my favorite videos to share with my 2nd Grade Jewish Studies classes each year.  I show it as part of my Torah Unit before we begin to actually ready a specific book in the Torah.  Using this video presentation has definitely enriched my lesson and the students experience.  As I talk about and describe all the different components of writing a Torah I see my students eyes getting wider and wider.  They are so fascinated and intrigued by the tradition.  I absolutely love this reaction!  However, once they watch this video presentation they are able to see in a tangible way the processes I just described.  In this way, the traditional lesson is brought to life within a modern day context.  These connections help students to answer questions like, "What does this have to do with me?  The world in which I live?"

No comments:

Post a Comment